Barbecue Done Right: Potato (turnip) Salad

It's the week of the 4th of July! That means barbecue, fireworks, and fun with family and friends. I am still on Phase 1 and am 10 pounds away from my goal, so these final weeks are critical so I can move into the next phase ASAP. I am getting pretty thin, but there are some areas that still have some fat, which is keeping me away from my goal weight.

I've had some set backs with cheats and a ton of stress these past couple of weeks. My body does not react well to stress and I actually retain weight during periods of high stress. I think I need to start doing yoga because at 22 I shouldn't be so stressed, but I AM!!

Anyway, rant over. I want to be able to enjoy the 4th with my family and not feel like I am missing out on anything as far as food is concerned. This week I want to dedicate my blog to all things barbecue!

Today I experimented in the kitchen with some potato salad. I was happy with the turn out! It is an alternative recipe to potato salad, so it doesn't taste exactly like the potato salad we all know and love, but it is pretty close and as close as we are going to get on this diet anyway!



Ingredients: 

4 cups of turnips, cut into fourths
Diced red onion 
Diced dill pickle 
Salt
Pepper 
Dijon Mustard 
Walden Farms Mayo 
Distilled White Vinegar 
Lemon Juice 
Olive Oil 

I didn't put exact measurements, because to be honest, it is all about your taste buds!



What to do:
  1. In a big pot, bring the water to boil. 
  2. Cut up the turnips into quarters or fourths.
  3. Once the water begins to boil, place the turnips in the pot. Leave the pot uncovered. I read that leaving it uncovered helps to release the bitter gases and flavor of the turnips.
  4. While the turnips are boiling, in a bowl mix equal parts mustard and mayo together. 
  5. Add in salt, pepper, lemon juice, and vinegar to taste. 
  6. Add in 2 tsp of olive oil. 
  7. Chop red onion and dill pickle and mix into the mayo/mustard mixture. 
  8. Once the turnips are tender (after about 30 minutes) take out of the water and place on paper towels to drain the excess water. I've heard to change the water half-way through the boiling process in order to help eliminate the bitter turnip flavor as well.  
  9. Cut up the turnips into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl. 
  10. Stir in the mayo/mustard mixture. 
  11. Dish into a bowl and eat! 
  12. Enjoy! 

Happy Dieting! 

-E

Comments

Popular Posts